Saturday, September 02, 2006

studio LDA - Two short stories about a can of coke




The original script is contained in the coke can.

Two short stories about a can of coke

The first is a memory snapped off a movie I watched long ago: “Not one less” by Zhang Yi Mou. The scene of the can of coke was but a side event. Shot of a group of students and a rather unqualified, made good temporary teacher hesitated if to buy two cans of coke to be shared among ten to twenty students. They did. So everybody had a sip of it. That had in turn reduced the fund they were trying to pool as bus fare for the teacher to go down town to look for a student, whom had been sent by his father to work in a factory, illegally, as he was underage.

The second is a scene of which I have part witness at my father’s provision shop on 19/8/06. My young cousin aged 13 lend a Game-boy machine worth about RM500 , which don’t belong to him, to his friend. His mum urged him not to do it. In frustration of my auntie’s nagging, he conveniently took a can of coke and threw it on his mum, just as convenient as he took this drink whenever he wanted, usually during breakfast at my father’s shop. My auntie later relayed the story to me and my wife. Her eyes were red, almost with tears.

When she was gone, I noticed a dented can of coke on the front counter. I asked my mum if this was the can. “Yes” my mum said. I drank the can of warm coke, sharing it with my mum, and my three year old daughter. My daughter loved it. I didn’t ask my mum. But it taste horrible. I think maybe because it wasn’t chilled.

Look from studio LDA

No comments: